John Higgins with the trophy in 2004.
After 17 years we will finally see the return of the British Open to the World Snooker Tour calendar next month at the Morningside Arena in Leicester.
To mark the tournament’s return, we’ve got 15 questions to test your knowledge of the event. Watch out for the answers, which will be released tomorrow.
- Which venue hosted the British Open between the years of 1985 and 1993?
- Which Thai legend lost three consecutive finals between 1992 and 1994?
- John Higgins won the most recent British Open in 2004, but who did he beat by a 9-6 scoreline in the final?
- Name the Canadian who claimed the title in 1990 by beating Alex Higgins 10-8 in the final.
- Scotland’s John Higgins and Stephen Hendry are tied for the record of most British Open titles. How many have they each won?
- There were two British Opens held in 1999, who won the second of them?
- Two players seeking a maiden ranking title battled it out in the first 1999 final. Who were they and who won?
- Nigel Bond won the only ranking title of his career so far at the 1996 event by beating John Higgins in the final. What was the score?
- Where was the British Open held in 2003 and 2004?
- Paul Hunter won the last of his three ranking titles in 2002. Who did he beat in the final?
- Graeme Dott made the only 147 break of his career so far at the British Open. Can you name the year?
- Who did Tony Meo beat in the 1989 final to secure the only ranking title of his career?
- How old was Stephen Hendry when he clinched the 35th of his 36 career ranking titles by winning the 2003 British Open?
- How many times has Ronnie O’Sullivan won the British Open?
- Who did Jimmy White lose to in the 2000 final?
Tickets for the British Open, which runs from August 16 to 22, are now available. Secure your chance to witness some of the best players on the planet for as little as £5. Click here to buy now.